Friday, August 16, 2013

New Beginnings

Hiya family, friends, and those friends I haven’t met yet! It’s so good to have you hear with me.  Lately I have been feeling a lot like eggs, the scrambled sort--kind of all over the place, doing the best to serve the situation at hand.  Today, marks the end of one crazy summer. 
This past year I graduated Gonzaga University with an Economics degree looking forward to embarking on a year of mission with a program called YAGM with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.  I found out about this program after my sophomore year and have been drawn to it ever since.  This blog is dedicated to that adventure.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.  This summer I spent working as a backpacking guide in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of Colorado at a place that has become more of a home than anything else.  And I was excited for another summer of ministry: working with kids, getting into silly shenanigans, blessed conversation, great hiking, and powerful worships.  
At the end of the first week of camp I found out that my house burned down in the Black Forest Fire.  While I am not sure my family or myself are necessarily removed enough to write with perspective on the event, the outpouring of support we felt is hard to communicate.  Community, and more than that, family, became larger than life in that first trembling week which was so much guess work.  And while some days are still difficult, I can’t imagine a better place to be than camp that has always enveloped me in love and been so instrumental to how I see myself today.  And so an amazing summer continued full of good people who taught me more than they will ever know.  It seemed like a blink of an eye.  
            And now that brings me to present a girl sitting in a Starbucks in Chicago mulling over the past, the present, and the future.  As we have sang many times already this week, I invite you now to walk with me: “Hamba Nathi mkululu weku, Come walk us the journey is long.”


2 comments:

  1. I love you Hubs, have a great journey! I'm so fricken pumped. Can't wait to read about it! Thinking about you in the days ahead.- Beta

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us at St. Andrew's are excited to follow your journey. Know that we are praying for you each day.

    ReplyDelete